Femoral Artery Injury

Errington Thompson errington at erringtonthompson.com
Thu Nov 29 07:59:45 GMT 2007

Some of the easiest and hardest cases that I have done have been femoral
artery injuries.  There are so many details that we just don't know.  How
long was he down?  What was his pressure at the scene?  What treatment did
he get in route?  Were the pre-hospital providers able to get control of the
bleeding in route with pressure?  Was the patient given massive amounts of
prehospital fluid?  Was he cold?  Did he become coagulopathic?  What was his
initial pH in the ER?  Did he go straight to the OR?  What were the
operative findings?  Was a shunt used?  Was heparin used?  Was mannitol
used?  Did he have any blood flow to his foot before surgery?  Did he
require fasciotomies?  How much blood, FFP and crystalloid were used?  What
did he look like post op?

There are a whole host of questions that we can't answer.  Therefore, I have
refrained from commenting on his treatment.  I have commented on the
senseless violence that we take care of on a daily basis.  I have commented
on the lack of leadership that I have seen from community leaders and
national leaders.  Last New Year's Eve Darrant Williams of the Denver
Broncos was shot and killed.  It is time for minority communities to address
this problem.

Finally, Sean Taylor was clearly wild and thuggish when he was drafted 4
years ago.  He had been arrested several times for various problems.
Recently however it seemed that he was turning his life around.  I don't
know this for a fact.  All I can do is go by press reports.  I applaud him
for trying to do the right thing.  I applaud his father for handling this
situation with poise and grace.  Senseless violence whether it is on an NFL
safety or a 16 yo from the streets leaves me feeling very empty and sad.

Errington

Errington C. Thompson, MD, FACS, FCCM
Trauma/Surgical Critical Care
Author - Letter to America